For many years, we’ve been promised that technology will help business grow. It’s easy to be cynical and see technology as a necessary evil. But with some simple guidelines, you can ensure that your technology will work for you.
Ensure it solves a commercial problem
It sounds obvious, but it’s critical that you define your commercial and operational objectives. These will help you keep firmly focused on your goals: otherwise ICT projects can go off track. For example:
- Stakeholders have their own objectives
- Technology options offer other benefits, causing project creep
- Technical limitations begin to dictate your direction
Technology doesn’t guarantee business success
Very often we turn to someone with technical knowledge to help identify the right option to solve a business problem such as gaining efficiency or improving our communications.
Things to avoid with tech experts:
Too much enthusiasm
- People love to get their hands on the latest technology – to learn something new. Technology can easily become an end-in-itself rather than a means-to-an-end.
Lack of business expertise
- Someone with technical wisdom may lack strategic acumen and commercial experience.
Narrow technical experience
- Even with balanced technical and commercial thinking, you require an unbiased technical perspective across alternative solutions and products.
Get the right advice
Getting the balance right is not easy. The following examples show two more factors that can hinder you when there’s not enough technical input. So when seeking advice beware of:
1. Sales targets
- Sales people, including IT consultants, often have targets to meet
2. Promising the earth
- Without technical experience to back it up, you may be promised something that’s not easy to deliver by those who say “yes” today and worry about the consequences tomorrow.
What you should look for:
- Urgency that matches your own, but not when it comes to signing on the dotted line
- A history of satisfied customers and a low churn rate
- Willingness to look at alternatives from amongst viable solutions and technology manufacturers
- People who know their stuff but will take the trouble to explain things where necessary
Tech that’s reliable and doesn’t cause problems
The best way to reap the benefits of technology is to ensure that you have good maintenance and efficient support. A competent IT support provider will monitor your systems 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so you they identify problems in advance, and you avoid unnecessary downtime, all at a minimal cost.
Leading by example
Todd McQuilkin, Air-IT Managing Director says:
We advise clients on ways to achieve growth with effective and realistic technology options. We also promise world class technical support so we’re there to ensure they continue to benefit from their technology investment.
Need help with your ICT?
If you’re having trouble with your ICT, need support, want a little extra help internally or with a project, please contact us today or call 0115 880 0044 and speak to one of our expert team who’ll be glad to help.